The Nightmare


News articles called it a massacre. 
We called it the new nightmare of reality.
In the middle of Tuesday night the gang killed around 16 people and set fire to over 10 homes and word is out that over a dozen more people are still missing.
Over a dozen families broken forever.
Over a dozen families traumatized forever.
A whole community displaced as refugees because home is now a war zone.
I woke up to the news yesterday and texted my friend who lives just up the road from me in Haiti. Both heartbroken and in utter shock for this to happen just 20 minutes south of us.
Why are they doing this? I don’t know.
Why won’t anyone help Haiti? I don’t know.
How or when will I ever see my children again?
I don’t know.
But I still trust You, my Lord. With every ounce of my being.
My town has been calm and I’m so proud of that. But the gangs new territory just South of us is blocking all traffic from the capital still. As in necessary supplies can’t be brought in and only a select few brave people who attempt to drive down route 1 are left untouched. It’s traumatizing to live in and yet so many can’t escape.
In order to survive you have to just make it through another day. Mentally, physically, emotionally.
And across the waters It’s December 1st which means we’re busy buying presents and wreaths and cookies. It’s December 1st which means the emotions come out of being stressed that the line is too long or mad that the order hasn’t been shipped or frustrated that there’s traffic on the road all the while singing jolly Christmas songs while wearing our cute red sweaters.
But I hope and pray we remember our neighbors during the hustle and bustle of December. Not just across the ocean but down the road too. In our own backyards. Eat the cookies but make some for the neighbors too.
I hope we remember the real reason for the excitement of this month and may we melt into the love story that gave us every reason to celebrate. The only hope we have left is the baby in the stable.
Santa never comes to Haiti. Quite frankly he doesn’t always come right down the road from our American homes either. Those children never get the Christmas morning other children eagerly wait all year for. But Jesus never left. We don’t need actual presents to replace His presence. He is present with us through every bit of the struggle guiding and guarding our hearts to His will. He is all we truly need. Everything else is fleeting. God, help me to remember this.
So we’re not asking for stuff this year. We’re just asking for survival of another day. We’re asking for the ability for children to get an education. To walk down the street safely. To eat a few extra grains of rice. We’re asking for an exodus out of Egypt to cross the parted Red Sea road.
Show us your power, Lord.
"Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You're mine.
When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end -
Because I am God, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you.
That’s how much you mean to me! That's how much I love you! I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.
“So don't be afraid: I'm with you.
Isaiah 43:1-5 msg



Comments

  1. Praying for the Lord's peace and grace to be upon you and that in these times you will grow in faith and experience His amazing joy! Christ alone is the Hope of the world! Hallelujah! Amen! Lisa (TN)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry update December 2022

One Year Ago Today