James 1:27


Roughly 480,000 of them in Haiti alone

They keep me awake at night

I think about what their names are, where they sleep, if they will be a dancers or soccer players or preachers….

I think about the emotionally past they will bring with them and if they will eat their vegetables and if they will like me.

I pray about them and cry over them.

James 1:27 Pure and faultless religion is this; to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep yourself from being polluted by the world.

I arrived in Haiti on August 26th with this verse pounding in my head. Not knowing how exactly I would play a part in this role that God has asked of us, but I began praying. And praying. And praying.

Not long after arriving in Haiti I knew what had to be done.

 I am going to build a home.

I began searching for land in an area where the children could play and go to school and be surrounded with love.  Every day I drove by a piece of land and knew it was the perfect spot. I talked with the owner of the land and he preceded to tell me he would sell it to me for $18,000 dollars. I must of given him a “you’ve got to be crazy look” because he immediately asked me what I would be willing to pay for it. After a few days we decided on $4,500.00.

So I am here, back in America. Did not want to come home. Was not ready to come home. But I have a peace about it knowing that it is Gods will, and if I want to love on these children and provide shelter for them I will need support.

The Gospel says I will not leave you as orphans I will come to you. How? Through Gods hands and feet. Which is us. We are called to take care of the least of these.

As Christ followers we are called to feed them and clothe them and love them. And I know this is a big step. And I have no idea how I will have enough money to build a house and continue to feed and nurture these children, but I know my God and He is able and He is faithful and He will provide.

While I was in Haiti, I traveled a hour and 45 minutes up a mountain. With rocky cliffs thousands of feet up I was freaking out (prayer is powerful) but we arrived at the top to find several hundred if not a thousand mountain people up there trying to survive. We also found orphans. The car broke down about an hour up our journey and as I was sitting on the side of the mountain out of nowhere 5 children walked up. They were not as scared of me as I would have thought. And we began talking. Their parents had died and they all lived together. Three siblings and two cousins. They were beautiful. They had dreams. And they deserve to know the love that our Father has for them if someone would just tell them and show them.

Right before I left to head back to the states I received a phone call from the pastor on the mountain. He said he found about 8 orphans and asked if I wanted them.

As my heart dropped I had to tell him I do not yet have shelter for them or am I able to provide for them. I pray that he did not tell them and get their hopes up just yet.

I wonder if 5 of those 8 are the ones I met.

I wonder if they will be singers… or soccer players… or preachers.

I wonder and I pray.

For it is written, so it shall be done.
So needless to say I gave all my teaching supplies away and will not begin teaching. Which is probably a good thing for the childrens sake!
My heart is still with the teenagers and I will continue to seek the path that will help me friend them and shine a light into their lives.
Thankyou to all of you who have already supported me.
Prayer is powerful and God is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry update December 2022

The Nightmare

One Year Ago Today