5 weeks later

Hello everyone! So sorry for not sending out more updates. Internet is slow and electricity is rare. I have been here about 5 weeks now and all is going well. Slowly but surely learning the language and the culture. I am in the village just about every day playing with the sweet children and gaining relationships with the families. Here are a few highlights from my stay here thus far:

One too many roaches have ran across my body while I am sleeping... which causes for a long battle at 3am until I can find him!

A beautiful 12 year old named Luciana was kicked out of her house because the family did not want to take care of her. She came to school crying not knowing where she would lay her head that night. A family took her in and she is now smiling. She is very soft spoken and always has a positive attitude. We went shopping last week which was a blast!! Market day is crazy busy but somehow we moved around the crowd and found her a few outfits, soap, deoderant, shampoo, and ofcourse some clippies for her hair. She has asked to live with me once I get settled here. Beautiful soul. God has big plans for her.

Laundry is difficult. very difficult. There is a ditch that runs along the side of the road that the whole community uses to bathing, cleaning dishes, washing clothes, and cooking. It takes a long time to wash and dry but so far I don't think I smell to bad!

I get my practice at driving in the village.... and FINALLY drove on the main road for about 2 minutes. One day maybe I will conquer driving on these crazy streets.

There seems to be about 4 funerals a week. They walk by my house going from church to the cemetery wailing and trumpets blowing.

One day I thought a funeral was going on but it was actually the voodoo people having a parade. Dancing  and singing and running through the streets waving red and white flags. They preceeded to sacrifice a cow that night and invited other witch doctors from other villages to come.
There is a new voodoo temple being built in the village right now.  I know the power of God is stronger than the power of satan.

Week three I was sick, and so was half the village. A fever/flu was going around town and it spread very quickly. Visited two Haitian hospitals where blood was splattered on the floor.The process was somewhat difficult but I guess something they gave me helped. It taught me that I can not rely on doctors or medicine anymore. My great Physician is the only true healer!

Sweet Stanley is a little 1 1/2 year old boy at one of the local orphanages. He was brought malnourished with no hair and could not walk. He is about the size of an 8 month old but oh he has a big personality! He now is slow close to walking! He takes about 4 steps and then gets scared and decides to crawl. I know he is going to be a man of God.

I've seen a pig riding a motorcycle.
A camel in the back of a truck
and goats hanging by their feet off the sides of trucks

Went to Port au Prince to get some groceries. Left PAP at 10:30am thinking to be home around 11:45. Some protesters decided to block the road and start throwing rocks. Our hour long trip ended at about 3:30pm. The UN was everywhere and shots were fired. I believe it was because the people wanted the government to give them electricity. After 5 hours 3 police encounters and 4 road blocks I made it home! Most taxi cars turned back around causing all the people to have to start walking. People with sacks of bananas, children, and suitcases had to travel several miles to their destination.

Went to a banquet for the orphanage. Started at 9 pm but the kids that stayed awake had a blast! We ate and played games and sang songs to our Savior!

Money was donated to buy goats for some widows in the village. A missionary named Mark and I sat in the car while the Haitians went to buy the goats. If a white person walks up the cost triples in price! They road in the back of the truck and were delivered to grateful widows who will breed them and make a little income from them. The leftover money was used to buy families food.

A drug dealer lives across the street from me. I have not met him but the police seem to check up on things pretty often.

Found a girl on the side of the road crying. Her dad beat her all over because he found out she had a boyfriend. God give me clarity to know what to do in these situations.

There is a part of the village that I do not believe white people have worked in. I drive by everyday and the kids yell to me. The other day I decided to stop and say hello. Well the kids went into panic mode, started crying, and tried to hide. Their mother finally was able to make them introduce themselves and as they shook my hand their hands were shaking! I played with them for a while and showed them that I am not scary. As I walked away I heard footsteps behind me. Three little ducklings were following me. So happy they decided to like me!

Hot bolied eggs are a common meal here with rice and plantains.  A cheeseburger and a milkshake would be amazing right about now!

Those are just a few of the adventures here in Haiti.
Thankyou to everyone who has prayed for me and for this beautiful country.
The devil might think he is winning the battle but my God has already won the war!!

I am hoping to start doing some construction on the land that we purchased in the village of Guitton very soon. I know my God will provide everything needed to fulfill His commands.
My daily prayer is that the light of Jesus will shine through me to love these people.
God is good. His will be done.




"I have observed something true in practically all expats. Once they have tasted the haphazard, horn honking, chickens everywhere, annoying vendors, pungent odor, soggy air, crazed taxi drivers, drunken policemen, disorienting, take life as it comes world away from home….they want more"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry update December 2022

The Nightmare

One Year Ago Today