There is always something to look forward to.

May 25th 2016 A very long day! I left my house at 3:40 to take a friend back to the airport. His flight was at 8 but due to the main bridge collapsing about a month ago, traffic has become really bad. My dad was here last week and it took us 6 and a half hours to get home. A trip that usually takes 1 hour. This is the new “normal”! So we watch the sunrise as we drive down the road. About 20 minutes away from the airport, the bus breaks down. I had a driver and 2 security guards with me and they all tried to fix it with no luck. The clock kept ticking and I was getting nervous that David would miss his flight so I sent him on a motorcycle the rest of the way! Thankfully, he made it without any problem. After 13 and a half hours of sitting in that bus, I was finally freed!! I wasn’t allowed to go outside due to being in a rough area of town but they did let me find a toilet, but only once! We ate crackers and drank water and watched the kids go to school, and then watched them leave from school. I watched a little old lady try to sell lollipops on the side of the road. All day long. With no buyers. It was a long long day! After 13 hours, I was picked up in a car and taken back home so I could be with my girls, but the bus didn’t arrive until 8pm. 17 hours for those guys. The radiator and water pump was destroyed. Only a week after fixing the transmission. Calix and Richeter are my night time security guards. They come at night and usually leave in the morning. But since I was leaving so early, and since they were already at my house, they came with me. So for 24 and a half hours, these guys tended to my every need. Got me water when I was thirsty. Protected me when the scene got hot. And worked in the sun all day trying to fix the bus. When I returned home, I was exhausted, ready to fall into bed. But I was greeted by a 1 year old and 3 year old who were ready for me to play with them outside. So that’s what we did. We played and played and played until it started raining. In Haiti, when it rains, it pours! Through my front porch blew the rain so hard that it started to flood my kitchen. After the babies went to sleep, the nanny and I spent the next hour trying to mop up, sweep out, and dry the floors before more water flooded inside. When the guards returned back with the bus, they immediately started helping mop the floors and push the water out the front door. They hadn’t showered or brushed their teeth. They stayed on the side of the road working tirelessly all day long trying to fix the bus after they had stayed up all night walking the perimeter of the children’s home. They came home with a smile and thankfulness in their eyes. They did not complain at all. These people teach me a lot. They teach me what is important in life and what is not. What should be valued in life and what shouldn’t. They teach me how to be selfless, and helpful, and thankful. As crazy as this trip to Port au Prince was, I was blessed. I was thankful, I was amazed. I was beyond thankful for this experience because of the few days before it. David from Little Rock, Arkansas came down to measure and draw up plans for La Limye’s next project. A SCHOOL!!! I am so excited that we will be building a elementary school filled with extra curriculum activities for people of all ages. So, no matter how tiring the day was, no matter how stressful the day was, I had something to look forward to. Education. A safe environment. A chance to learn. The construction project will start in the new future. We would love for you to come down and help us build! But until then, if you know a professional mechanic that wants to work on a bus, send him down!!! Life in Haiti. Always an adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry update December 2022

The Nightmare

One Year Ago Today