Varlensly and Nelson

Varlesnly was 6 months old when she went into the arms of Jesus. I met her in June. She was a beautiful little girl, bright brown eyes, chubby cheeks, a piece of joy to all. There were some problems though. Her mom was young and uneducated. Everyone in the village begged for me to take the child. Everyone but the mom. For though it seemed like she didnt want her baby, I could see deep down in her eyes that there was a little love, a little hope. Everyday for two months I would go visit the family. The ministry provided formula and we constantly reminded the mom that Varlensly was a child of the King, made in His image, and worth more than gold. Things started looking up. I then took a 4 week long trip to the States to fundraise. When I returned, I received the news. "Varlensly te mouri. Li mouri Ellen, wi li vre." No I said. No no no. I just knew I wasn't understanding. I knew I misinterpreted the words I heard. "Varlensly died. He's dead Ellen. Yes it is true." Voodoo, so they said. "The dead who have already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive." Ecclesiastes 4:2 I wanted to take her home with me that day, but the mother said no. And there's nothing else I could do. Although I miss her sweet smile, her splashing in the bath, her little grin, she is with Jesus now, and I could not be happier for her. A few days ago the same type story was starting to play out. I was called to come in the village. A mother dropped off her 11 month old son at his grandmothers house and had not return in several days. Again, all the women told me to take Nelson home with me. But he had parents, and they were still responsible. The grandmother lives in a house smaller than my bathroom with no fourth wall. Only three standing. She had two outfits, a bowl, a cup, and a shredded towel. And now this baby. A part of me knew the mom would return and I told her we needed to wait before putting Nelson in an orphanage. La Limye decided to sponsor him monthly with the necessities he needs. His smile lights up the whole room. He can't crawl yet, and has no motor skills, but his two teeth are as white as can be and not a speck of malnourishment shows in his dark curly black hair. After a week, his mom returned. It was a beautiful reunion. She wants her baby. She truly loves her baby. She decided that if we can help her provide, then she doesn't want to put him in an orphanage. No body wants to give their child away. They just want help. And they are more thankful than anyone I know. Somethings are out of our control. Sometimes we don't get to decide. Some days we don't know the best solution. But God does and when we look to Him, and his perfect plan, it will be done. Even when we don't understand, He does. "And he took the children in His arms, put his hands on them and blessed them." Mark 10:16 Soon we will start a child sponsorship program. Please prayerfully consider helping these sweet mamas care for their little ones. Our website will be up soon and all information will be located on there. For now, pray, because it changes things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry update December 2022

The Nightmare

One Year Ago Today